Sunday, January 14, 2007

UPDATE...

Tomorrow (1/15) is the 1st weigh-in after the start of the diet challenge. I avoided weighing myself all week until yesterday morning. I stepped on the scale and was pleasantly surprised to see a loss of 8 lbs so far! Now I know that was in the morning, when we weigh less anyway, and it was also just the first week of the diet. I know from dieting in the past that often the first week is a large number and the loss usually lessens thereafter. So I'm not going into this week with as high of expectations for fear of becoming discouraged but I have made the decision to stick with it and the hunger pangs have pretty much subsided.

I watched an episode of 20/20 or one of those news magazine shows tonight that we had TiVoed. It had a segment with Dr Oz who is a regular on the Oprah show. He and a collegue have written a book about maintaining your perfect weight and weight loss. Their theory is that it's not your weight that should be your concern as much as your waist size. They claim that your waist should be no larger around than half your height to be at a healthy size. I'm not sure how that compares to the rest of you out there, but I'm roughly 6'1"-6'2" so according to this, my waist measurement should be between 36" and 37". Now, I've been both of those sizes (in addition to a few more) and for me, this seems a little too large. I'm happiest with a 34" waist. Any larger and I look pudgey and any less than 34" and I just look hungry.

Let's hear from the rest of you guys...is half of your height an ideal waist size for you? I'd be interested to know if this works for anyone. (Not sure how this would work for women since their waists are normally smaller than men's)

2 Comments:

Blogger Darth Gateau said...

the last time I had a 31" waist was about 22 years ago. I've never had a waist of that size as an adult and I'm not really that much over weight at the moment. My lowest has been 32" which looks fine with my frame. I'm not sure I believe in the half height thing....

11:35 AM, January 15, 2007  
Blogger Matt said...

I don't really agree with the half-height either ... I'm the same height as you, Scott, and I have a 34 - 35" waist, which is just fine. I had a 32" waist for most of my life until middle age. But a 36 - 37" waist would make me pudgy, too.

1:19 PM, January 15, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home