Monday, January 08, 2007

JUST LOSE IT!

Well, today was the big weigh-in at work.

About 2 weeks ago our H.R. department sent out a mass email challenging us all to a contest. A weight loss contest. On a totally volunteer basis, the challenge is to lose the highest percentage of your own body weight. It's a 12 week contest with weekly prizes awarded for highest weight loss and a grand prize at the end of the 12 weeks totalling the entire entry fees paid to enter.

After the weigh-in and the announcement went out detailing how many people entered, I did some quick math. (because, after all, it's all about the money!) I stand to win $440.00. Out of the 150 or so people who work at the corporate office where I do, only a total of 32 people entered. 22 men and 10 women. Now, I look around everyday and see at least 75 people who probably should have entered. I'm not one to judge, (who are we kidding, of course I am) but I was a bit dissapointed in the turn-out. Don't get me wrong, this will, in no way, demotivate me from wanting to win. I figure after putting my mind to it 6 years ago and losing 40 lbs in a matter of 8 weeks, I should be able to win this thing simply because I know I can do it. Now the fun begins...

After hearing the disappointing numbers for participents, I began asking around. The excuses were as long as my arm! Only 1 other person in my department entered. I asked a few people why they didn't. My favorite was this one: "I don't want to just lose weight AND muscle mass and if I work out too, I won't win because muscle weighs more than fat." Can you really be serious?

Anyway, wish me luck! Today begins the hell of feeling hunger pains while sitting at my desk and trying to keep myself from going to the vending machine for that double chocolate chip muffin that laughs at me as I walk by everyday. Not to mention the "Accounting bitches" who, at least once per week bring in pans of home-baked goodies and place them on top of the filing cabinets right at nose-level so whenever you need to walk by on the way to the restroom, you are taunted mercilessly.

I think I'll look for a different route to the restroom tomorrow.

6 Comments:

Blogger Darth Gateau said...

Hi again. I work for an airline with a reputation for glamour and a bit of style. I'm surrounded by people who constantly look great. It's cool in many ways - cute guys everywhere - but for someone approaching 40, without any brakes,crash barriers or safety nets it's a little daunting!

For a brilliant way to lose weight without it being total agony try looking up "I Can Make You Thin" by Paul McKenna. He's a lifestyle guru/hypnotherapist kind of chap but his programme REALLY works! It's not mumbo jumbo, as it makes good sense and basically involves training yourself to eat less. It's worth a try. It worked for me and lots of my colleagues. You could then look smug as you tuck into pans of home made goodies and still lose weight!

4:39 AM, January 09, 2007  
Blogger Scott in Iowa said...

Thanks Darth! I'll look into that one.

6:54 AM, January 09, 2007  
Blogger Tom said...

I always thought you were a big loser. Good luck! :)

9:16 AM, January 09, 2007  
Blogger Matt said...

Good luck Scott! Sounds like your competitive streak can beat your hunger pangs pretty well ... :)

5:54 PM, January 09, 2007  
Blogger Scott in Iowa said...

Thank s for the support, guys! Maybe it's my will-power, or more likely my stubbornness, but I think this is just what I needed to get me motivated.

12:09 AM, January 10, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck. I'm on day three. Starving. By day 5, cookies will be talking to me, openly taunting me. Hope it goes better for you and that you win the cash.

12:57 PM, January 10, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home