Sunday, December 24, 2006

WHICH WITCH IS WHICH?...OR...NOT SO WICKED...


I like musicals. No, I didn't say that I "loved" musicals. I guess I don't fall into that old stereotypical "gay" category of loving Broadway musicals. Although, I really should admit, this was only the third Broadway musical I have ever seen. Sidenote question: do you HAVE to see it on Broadway IN New York for it to actually be a Broadway musical? I have to say, that has always been unclear to me. I've seen two musicals in New York, of which, neither was actually in a theater ON Broadway, and now one in Chicago. All three STARTED on Broadway, I believe. So, does that make them "Broadway" musicals? Please, someone set me straight on this!

Anyway, having said that I'm not a lover of musicals, this is by far, the best I have seen. (Not really saying much, having only seen 3 so far)

The set was great, and it always blows my mind how the set designers can really help tell the story with their talents. I think set designers are often overlooked and not given enough credit for their amazing work.

Wicked is the story of the three witches of Oz. The wicked witch of the East, the wicked witch of the West and Glinda, the good witch.

I loved The Wizard of Oz as a kid as do my children now. We all grow up knowing this movie, and if you're anything like me, probably never missed it's airing every year on T.V. as a child.
If you have not seen Wicked, you probably THINK you know the entire story of Oz and all of it's characters. Well, let me tell you, my friend...you may be quite surprised...
This play is so much fun! It will change your mind about who really is good or bad in the story of The Wizard of Oz. I'm not going to say too much here and give away the story for those who have not seen Wicked, but I went into this play not really knowing much at all what it was about. I guess that may have been a good thing. I'm guessing that if I'd known the premise going in, I may not have been so surprised by the story as it unfolded on stage before me.

Wicked will take you on a journey through the lives of the threee witches as they are growing up, and take you all the way up through the story of The Wizard of Oz. The thought that went into the writing of this play is fascinating! It will take you behind the scenes of various things in the movie that you never gave a second thought to. Like, the tornado that carried Dorothy, through her dreams, to the land of Oz, the flying monkeys, the tin man, the scarecrow, the cowardly lion and the witches themselves.

This play combines drama, comedy and suspense to make 3 hours seem to go by in a flash. The music is wonderful and I really have to give the Chicago cast credit on their amazing singing! Fantastic voices!

I didn't go to Chicago planning to see Wicked. As I said in a previous post, it was a total surprise to me when Andrew took the tickets out of his pocket just 45 minutes before the show. However, I'm glad I did see it. If you saw The Wizard of Oz as a kid, I would highly recommend seeing Wicked. It's a show that you can take the whole family to, suitable for any age. I now really want to take my two kids to see it. I know they would be totally mezmorized by the story and come away thinking about The Wizard of Oz in a whole new light.


1 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

I THINK that if a musical actually started on Broadway, it's always deemed "a Broadway musical" ... but I also think that if the theatre wasn't actually ON Broadway, but in the "Broadway theater district" it claims that as well.

That doesn't help, does it???

But, if it's good, it can call itself whatever it wants as long as it delivers!

4:30 PM, December 28, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home