Friday, November 24, 2006

VEGAS BABY!

November 22nd was Andrew's and my 4th anniversary. He surprised me with a trip to Las Vegas last weekend. (because that's just the kind of guy he is) We left on Thursday evening and returned home on Sunday. It was a great trip! Neither of us are big gamblers. So, why go to Vegas, you ask? One word; SHOWS! Some of the best entertainment in the country has got to be in Vegas.

We went to Las Vegas two years ago and saw the Cirque Du Soleil show caled "O" at the Bellagio. Andrew had seen it a year or so earlier when he went with friends. I remember him coming home and telling me about it and not being able to desribe it in much detail. Well, after I saw it 2 years ago with him, I understood.

Travel far enough away,
my friend
and you'll discover
something of great beauty:
your self.

"O" is the most beautiful and best choreographed show I have ever seen. The first time I saw it we had front row "wet" seats. We really didn't get very wet, but the view was fantastic. This time we sat about 12 rows back from the front and the view was different, but still amazing.

o, the world's a stage they say
upon which mortals strut and play
until the final hour of day
until the curtain calls

I remember walking out of the theater after the show the first time I saw it. I was literally speachless. I mean, I could not talk. What I had seen stirred my inner emotions so much that I knew if I had said a word, the tears would have started streaming. I was very moved by that show. I can't even explain after seeing now for the second time, why that is. Except I was completely in awe of what I was seeing from the time the curtain went up, (or down as it were) until the time the curtain came back down. ( or, in this case, back up. I'll explain in a minute) The sheer genius, and maybe a little lunacy that went into the writing and direction of this show is amazing. The only way I can think of to desribe "O" is to say that it must have been born from the wildest of dreams of Franco Dragone, the writer and director. It seems as though you are watching someone's very strange dream. There is so much going on all over the stage at the same time, it hard to keep up and it gets a little overwhelming trying to.

o, to sing with all my heart
caress you with my soul, my art
embrace you as my counterpart
until you turn away

The curtain- I have never seen this done in a stage production before. The red fabric theater curtain looks like any other; about 3 storeys high and maybe 60-75 feet wide. Quite large. When the show starts, instead of opening in the traditional manor by parting in the middle or rising up, this curtain is suddenly released at the top and slowly falls in billows down to the stage floor. Then, by invisible wires, it starts being pulled quickly back and up toward the upper back center of the stage in one long flowing red stream, revealing the massive stage which is an amazing feat in itself; a deep pool of water where you expect the stage to be. At the end of the show the curtain reappears in an equally amazing and unexpected manor. You'll have to go see the show to find out how. :-) I absolutely loved hearing the audience's gasps in reaction to the way the curtain fell and then reappeared at the end of the show.

o, the wind of change doth blow
in which direction, who can know
I dare not ask, I turn and go
I'll find out when I get there


The acrobatics- WOW! That's all I can say. These people deserve a standing O just for the stunts alone! I was awe-struck through the entire show. It's truly amazing that humans can do the things that these awesomely talented people do!

o, the all-consuming fire
licking, laping like desire
exalting, rising ever higher
until the wind blows in

The music- Some of the most beautiful music there is. I sat though the entire show the first time 2 years ago and never noticed that some of the singing and music is actually done live during the show. We only just noticed this during the second time seeing it. If you look very closely to the sides of the stage and up in what would be the upper box seating areas, you can just make out people with microphones and instruments behind smoked glass. We were both surprised to notice that this time. After Andrew had seen it the first time, he made me a CD of the soundtrack. That was about 4 years ago and I still listen to that CD at least once a week. Beautiful.

o the circle, o the cycle
o la vie, an ode to thee
o water of life
please carry me

Please, the next time you find yourself in Las Vegas, go see this show. The tickets are not inexpensive; $150.00 each, but, beleive me, they are worth every penny. Skip Celine Dion. you can pop in a CD and hear that crap any day of the week. Go see "O". You will never forget it and I hope you are as moved as I was both times I saw it.

To the scores of silent alchemists
who wreak their joy
in darkness and in light
bringing magic to life

we bow most humbly.


See a clip and read about the show here: Cirque Du Soleil

3 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

I've loved Cirque du Soleil for years ... my partner and I stayed at Bellagio a few years ago but couldn't get tickets for "O". I did get to see "La Nouba" on a business trip to Orlando a couple of years ago. Wow. I agree, it is an absolute must-see. The music alone is worth it, and like you said it's live music, the performers are right there.

Glad you are having a great anniversary!!!!!

6:04 PM, November 24, 2006  
Blogger Scott in Iowa said...

Thanks for leaving your comment Matt. I have never seen any other Cirque show, so I don't really have anything to compare it to. But, I just can't imagine anything else being so beautiful. It touched all of my senses in a way that nothing else ever has. Yeah, even touch... you could feel the heat hitting your face when the fires started! Ok, maybe not smell...except for the smell of whatever fuel was used for the fires:-)
Anyway, it was truly an experience not to miss.

11:15 PM, November 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will have to put "O" on my things to see in Vegas. I have been to Vegas 3 times in the last 4 years. It's a nice easy flight from CR and you can really pack in a lot of entertainment in a few days. If you get a chance to go again I would suggest seeing Phantom, it was wonderful!

6:08 AM, November 25, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home