Saturday, November 11, 2006

CHICAGO



I love this city. I don't mean "yeah, I've been there and it was fun", I mean, I LOVE THIS CITY. For me, there is nothing like packing up the car early on a Saturday morning and heading east toward Chicago. From Cedar Rapids/Marion where Andrew and I live, it takes us only about 4 hours by car. Since getting the I-Pass, and now with open road tolling, we can be there in 3 1/2 hours without any stops as long as traffic is moderately good.


We go about 5-6 times per year to spend a long weekend, sometimes to see a show, do some shopping, catch a museum or just to hang out. Every trip includes at least a few hours of walking Michigan Avenue. From the river, north about 10 blocks is some of the world's best shopping. Water Tower Place, Nordstrom Mall, Hugo Boss, Ralph Lauren, 900 North Michigan, Kenneth Cole...The fantastic places to shop go on and on. This IS the place to be in the weeks before Christmas. It is cold at that time of year and the wind of the "windy city" doesn't help any, but the magic of Chicago during the holidays seems to overshadow any of those negatives.

Spring and summer in Chicago is beautiful. That is my favorite time of the year to go. From walking and biking trails along Lake Michigan to bar hopping in Boys Town. there is always something new to see and do.

I guess living in ultra-conservative Iowa, makes me love visiting Chicago even more. Being a gay couple, living in a neighborhood of traditional families with a dog and 2.5 kids is ok and a pretty good life, but once in a while it's nice to get away and go someplace where walking on the sidewalk, in public, holding hands with my partner and not even getting a disapproving glance from others on the street is a very refreshing feeling. Stealing a quick kiss across the dinner table in a Cedar Rapids, Iowa restaurant would likely get us throw out or worse. Because "no one wants to see that shit". Hmmm, but a straight couple, having a romantic anniversary dinner at the table across the room, practically having sex on the table is "just fine" and "oh, how sweet, it's their first anniversary, let's surprises them with a free dessert to help them celebrate". ...I just don't understand.

Andrew and I found ourselves in Chicago this summer one weekend to see Margaret Cho at the Chicago Theater. She was there for the opening ceremonies of the 2006 Gay Games. We never went to any of the Gay Games activities, but oh, were the Mary Janes out in full force in Chicago THAT weekend! The city was aflutter with queens of all sorts and nationalities. This was apparent as soon as we entered the loop on Congress Parkway on our way into town. We began playing a little game; gay or straight. After a couple of minutes it just got way too easy and we gave up. The whole city was gay! Not that that's a bad thing, of course. That's the point that we remembered, "oh yeah, Gay Games are in town this weekend." And it all made sense.

We leave for Las Vegas in 5 days, then our next trip to Chicago is mid December. I can't wait to get back there and experience the holiday magic of Michigan Avenue again this year. As much as I love the desert and warm weather, there is still nothing like Chicago around Christmas.

You know you truly love a place when, as you're driving away, you feel sad. I feel that every time I visit Chicago. I watch in my rear view mirror as the city gets smaller and smaller and we start planning our next trip back to The Windy City.




3 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

Amen.

I love that city like no other. There are other cities I love visiting, and could picture myself living in (or currently do), but no city makes me feel like Chicago does.

I'm very jealous that you'll get to see it this holiday season. Unfortunately, Marshall Field's is gone - you'll have to tell me if Macy's (blech) at least still does the same trumpet decorations and that the clock is still there ...

5:36 PM, November 11, 2006  
Blogger Matt said...

Oh, and tell me what the theme is for the windows this year at Field's! ( I will never be able to call it Macy's).

5:37 PM, November 11, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahhh, yes, PLEASE, take me back sometime, ill promise to try and keep up or at least give me a 3 block headstart.....love you!!!

12:34 AM, November 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home