Sunday, November 26, 2006

TO RAKE OR NOT TO RAKE...


It's Sunday. The day of rest. One of my few days off to just do nothing. I have a whole house to clean. I have Christmas lists to write. The kids are here today and I should be spending time with them. Let me see...what else can I think of as a good excuse to not rake?

We learned our lesson last year when it came to raking. We raked the leaves into several piles with good intentions of bagging up the piles for leaf pick-up. Then it snowed. The piles stayed there for the entire winter. In spring when the snow was gone, the leaves were still there, now wet and packed down on top of the grass. That's when we decided to pick them up. We did and under them was nothing. the grass had completely died. So, we had about 5 large circles of dirt spaced out across the lawn. It looked like we had crop circles, only not as perfect and not in interesting designs. It took all summer of seeding and watering and fertilizing to get the grass back. Then what happened? The leaves fell again. Grrrrrr!!

So, now we're left with this dilemma - do we rake (and bag) or do I just mow over them with the mulching mower and chop them up into tiny pieces?

I still haven't decided. Check back at a later date and I'll be sure to let you know what we decided.

Have a great Sunday!

3 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

DEFINITELY mulch!!! Much easier, much faster, and it feeds the grass without killing it like a big pile would. I'm thinking you'll like that answer. :)

3:54 PM, November 26, 2006  
Blogger Scott in Iowa said...

I LOVE that answer and that's exactly what I did. I actually felt a little lazy doing it that way, but it sure looks better!

4:41 PM, November 26, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just mow over them...is that the same as mulching???anyway, our neighbors were starting to stare, so we had to do something...so i voted jon to just mow, and it doesnt look half bad....

6:43 PM, November 27, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home