Thursday, November 15, 2007

FIVE YEARS AGO TODAY...

November 22nd, 2002. Little did I know then, that I would be sitting here 5 years later in our family room writing this. At the time, I lived in Cedar Rapids, he lived in Waterloo. 60 miles apart. Andrew and I had chatted online every day for a week or so. I knew one thing; I wanted to meet this guy to see if he was as sweet in person as he seemed online.
This is the picture I was looking at as we chatted that week. Who wouldn't have wanted to meet this guy??

The first date was planned. He would drive down to my house and we would go out for an Italian dinner. ( I know, I know, the whole garlic thing)
He got to my house on schedule and when I met him at the front door I couldn't have been more nervous. He was perfect! Oh my God, this guy is WAY out of my league. My thoughts were, "Are my online pictures really THAT much better than I look in person, or does this guy just feel sorry for me?"

He was wearing a short sleeved, light blue, button-down shirt that fit him perfectly. The light blue against his tanned, olive skin was dreamy. The sleeves were just long enough that the tattoo on his right arm could just peek out as he took off his jacket and handed it to me. (Only later did I find out that the tattoo around his left ankle was the one that would really turn me on) I think we sat down to chat and had a glass of wine before we left to go eat. After dinner we came back to my house. I built a fire in the fireplace and we sat on the sofa and talked and had another glass of wine or two.

Since then there have been many trips together, many holidays spent together, a few moves to different houses and several more Italian dinners. I can't even begin to count all of the times that I've been surprised with plane tickets, show tickets and planned road trips in the past 5 years. He has such a knack for that. I can never keep a secret that well. He always figures it out when I have something planned to surprise him.

5 years.

Wow. In some ways I can't believe it's been that long, in other ways it seems like forever.
Is he still that same sweet guy I met online? Yeah, but even better than I could have imagined then. Sure, we have our little spats and there are times when he still thinks about killing me in my sleep. (Oh, he's told me so.)

The traditional gift for a 5 year anniversary is wood. *snicker*
What the heck do you give someone as a gift that is both made of wood and romantic? I've given this a lot of thought but I've come up with nothing. I already gave him two tickets to see Evanescence in concert on November 29th. Of course that's kind of for both of us but he is the one who REALLY wants to see them again so I guess that counts as a gift. Wait, the tickets are paper. Paper is a form of wood, right? Ok, maybe that's a stretch.

I wouldn't trade the past 5 years for anything.
Happy anniversary, babe! I love you.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

so...are you gonna give him some wood? teehee...

4:19 AM, November 22, 2007  
Blogger Matt said...

Happy Anniversary guys!

Wood *is* the gift that keeps on giving ...

7:12 AM, November 22, 2007  
Blogger Sooo-this-is-me said...

Awwwwe, now see for a guy just coming out, I really need and love to hear stories like this. So happy you found each other. Oh yeah, who wouldn't have gone ape over his picture but are you kidding me about yourself! Trust me, he probably went nuts over your picture as well, you guys are one of the hot couples on here. Congrats on the five years and many, many more to come!

No wood comments from me , those jokes are getting stiff. XD

Steven

9:59 AM, November 22, 2007  
Blogger Rick Rockhill said...

yippee! congratulations Scott. So happy for you guys.

Happy Thanksgiving!
-Rick

10:22 AM, November 22, 2007  
Blogger Darth Gateau said...

congratulations gents! You're both a perfect match.
Ooh tattoos - I do love tattoos but my other half won't get one.

Yummy

11:11 AM, November 22, 2007  
Blogger Cooper said...

Awww, that was so heart-warming to read. Congratulations to you both!

11:13 PM, November 22, 2007  
Blogger Tom said...

Congratulations! Wow, 5 years goes by so fast.

11:41 AM, November 23, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home