Sunday, August 26, 2007

NOTABLE HOMES OF CEDAR RAPIDS, IOWA

After visiting Craidarroch Castle in Victoria B.C. and learning it's history earlier this month, it got me thinking about some houses closer to home. I set out early in the evening on Sunday and snapped some pictures of a few locally historic homes in my hometown, Cedar Rapids, Iowa. After all it was a beautiful evening and perfect weather for a drive in the convertible.My first stop was in front of Brucemore. This home was built in 1884 by the Sinclair family as a summer home. In 1906, the Sinclaires negotiated a house trade with the Douglas family of Cedar Rapids. In 1924, the eldest Douglas daughter married Howard Hall, a local wealthy owner of two large businesses. During their ownership, Margaret and Howard Hall entertained several famous guests such as Presidents Herbert Hoover and Harry Truman. Howard actually kept a couple of pet lions that roamed the 26 acre property until 1971 when he died. I've actually spoken to residents of the neighborhood who grew up hearing the lion's roars daily. Howard died in 1971 and Margaret continued living at Brucemore until her death in 1981. At the time of her death Margaret bequeathed Brucemore to the National Trust For Historic Preservation for use as a historic site and community cultural center.My second stop was at the Armstong mansion, named for the original owners. I wasn't able to find much historic information on this home except that in was built sometime in the late 1800's and several years later was divided in half, right down the center and moved by horse and wagon about 2 miles to it's current location. I've been inside this house and there is absolutely no visible evidence that it was ever in two pieces except for the peak of the 3rd floor ballroom ceiling that has a small crack running the entire length. What an amazing feat that must have been to successfully move this enormous home without the use of modern motorized trucks and equipment! This is the only house out of the four I've featured here that still remains a private home.My third stop was Averill House. I have to admit, I know absolutely nothing about this house except it was built in the late 1800's and was placed on the National Historic Register in 1978. It is now used as offices for a local law firm.My last stop was just down the street from Averill House at what is now Turner Mortuary. This is the home that the Douglas family and the Sinclair family swapped for Brucemore. What I find most intriguing about this home is that famous artist, Grant Wood spent a good part of his life living in and around Cedar Rapids and lived in the second floor of the carriage house behind this home. He actually painted many of his famous pieces while living here.

Cedar Rapids once had many, many more beautiful, large mansions that were torn down in the 1950's and 60's in the name of "progress". Many of these were in areas that became undesirable to live in, were divided up into apartments, then eventually torn down. Cedar Rapids, Iowa may be a rather small Midwestern city of roughly 150,000, but it is certainly not without it's interesting history and notable places. I think I'll do a few more posts about Cedar Rapids in the near future.

17 Comments:

Blogger Tom said...

Interesting. I didn't know the history of the Armstong mansion. Do you have any idea from where it was moved from? I know that on A Ave NE there is a house that was moved from the Brucemore siteto it present location. It's a shame that all those old house are gone.

10:59 AM, August 29, 2007  
Blogger Darth Gateau said...

Wow! All of those huge places in your town! Cool. Next post we'd like to see inside them - that's your mission, should you choose to accept it....

7:06 AM, August 30, 2007  
Blogger Matt said...

Those are beautiful.

I want the last one. My birthday is in October. :)

7:05 PM, August 30, 2007  
Blogger Scott in Iowa said...

Tom, I don't know exactly where it was moved from except that it was closer to the downtown area.
Darth- Well, I'm afraid that would be an impossible mission. Brucemore is open for tours, however does not allow photography, the Armstrong mansion is still a private residence and I'd surely be arrested if I tried to walk in and start taking pictures. the other two are businesses that I'd rather not even go into; a funeral home and an office used by attorneys. I'd rather avoid both.
Matt- Are you sure that's all you'd like? I guess I could whittle down my gift list that I have started for you. ;-)

10:39 PM, August 30, 2007  
Blogger Darth Gateau said...

sigh.

some people have no ambition for crime these days, despite the rewards.

1:57 AM, August 31, 2007  
Blogger matty said...

That was a really cool post.

For some reason, who knows, I have this idea/image of what Iowa would look like and your pictures show I had it all wrong.

I thought Iowa would be pretty, but not with such homes.

cool.

2:55 PM, August 31, 2007  
Blogger Matt said...

Scott - no no no, don't whittle down the gift list! I don't want to deprive you of the joy of giving.

6:36 PM, August 31, 2007  
Blogger Scott in Iowa said...

Matty-Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed my post. It's true, Iowa isn't all just cornfields and outhouses. shhhh but don't tell anyone else!

Matt- That's so you. Always thinking of the feelings of others. :-)

8:46 PM, August 31, 2007  
Blogger Darth Gateau said...

OH. COME. ON!!!! By the time you manager to pull another post together, all of the grand houses on this post will be piles of decaying rubble, barely discernable through a fully mature oak forest....

4:15 AM, September 06, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is a very nice post, scott.
love, sue

6:24 PM, September 08, 2007  
Blogger Rick Rockhill said...

I love the grand old homes like these. its the one thing I miss about living in So Cal...most things are so new...

1:41 PM, September 09, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We live in what was known as "The Poe House". It was finished in 1924, built for Arthur Poe ( nephew of Edgar Allen Poe) when he and his wife moved here to run Quaker Oats, I think.
Grant Wood designed the carriage lights on the property, the formal living room's fireplace mantle was shipped here from NYC' s Knickerbocker Hotel. The property and home is beautiful and we have worked hard to bring it back to its original grandeur while updating and modernizing it to work for our family.
You're welcome to come take pictures anytime.👍
~ Sabrina

300 27th Street Dr SE

7:47 PM, June 16, 2015  
Anonymous Clay said...

The Armstrong house was moved from Second Avenue and stood on the site of Allen Motors. The home as reconfigured at the corner of Forest Drive and Blake Boulevard belonged to Frank Race. Mrs. Race was an Armstrong. When my mother was a child, Mrs. Race explained to her that after being moved, the house was put back together with chewing gum. A likely story...

7:07 AM, December 02, 2015  
Blogger Unknown said...

Cool post my sister just bought the old Daniel Arthur restaurant it's on 3rd Ave SE cedar rapids is its one of the last 4 original mansions in cedar rapids it's amazing so much history as soon as you walk in lol it's also been on the Iowa haunted tour and ghosts hunters pretty cool check it out on YouTube embalming sink still in basement creepy but awesome house

1:02 AM, July 21, 2016  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's also her family home new restaurant comeing soon feel free to come check it out

1:05 AM, July 21, 2016  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's also her family home new restaurant comeing soon feel free to come check it out

1:05 AM, July 21, 2016  
Blogger Unknown said...

Cool post my sister just bought the old Daniel Arthur restaurant it's on 3rd Ave SE cedar rapids is its one of the last 4 original mansions in cedar rapids it's amazing so much history as soon as you walk in lol it's also been on the Iowa haunted tour and ghosts hunters pretty cool check it out on YouTube embalming sink still in basement creepy but awesome house

1:06 AM, July 21, 2016  

Post a Comment

<< Home