Saturday, August 30, 2008

MOVING RIGHT ALONG...


we're winding down our final days in this house. We move out on Tuesday, Sept 2nd.

I haven't mentioned much at all here in my blog about this move until now. It's been a fairly stressful and bumpy ride over the past few months and it has just not been something I've wanted to address here.

The house went up for sale when there was talk of a promotion for Andrew that would have meant a move out of state. To get a head start on that, the house went on the market. We sort of anticipated at least a 1-2 month period of open houses, scheduled viewings and finally an offer. Well, it was less than two weeks and there was an offer and the house was sold. It was bought by a family who had lost everything in the floods here in June. I suppose the timing of the flooding and the house going on the market around the same time was bound to result in a quick sale with so many people losing their homes to the horrific flood waters.

So, here we sat for the better part of two months wondering where we'd be moving to. Then, with changing company decisions and a lot of restructuring, the pending promotion didn't happen.

Unfortunately, for the same reason our house sold so quickly, we were left with the nearly impossible task of finding another place to move to. Rentals were being snapped up as soon as they were available and anything left over was way over-priced. Landlords were cashing in on flood victims' misfortune. On top of that, we have a 60lb dog to throw into the mix. Ever tried renting a place that allows large dogs?

So, until about 10 days ago we had no idea where we were moving to and the closing date on this house was approaching fast. Ever heard of stress??

Then Andrew found a new townhouse/condo that was nearly finished. What luck! 3 full, finished levels, a fireplace, deck and a huge yard for Bailey to run in. Plus, "condo" means no more mowing or snow shoveling! YAY! So, instead of renting, a new home was purchased.

So, last weekend we held a last minute garage sale to get rid of all of our accumulated junk and several pieces of large furniture that we would no longer need or wouldn't fit in the new place. At this point I think we're ready for the move and everything we have will have a spot in the new house. The truck will be picked up today and we'll spend the entire 3 day weekend packing and loading the truck. By Tuesday around noon we'll get possession of the condo and will start moving in. My back is already dreading this.

Stay tuned...I'll update later and probably have some pictures of the new place to share.

Wish us luck!

Update: The stress continues...We went to pick up the 27 ft truck on Saturday that we'd had reserved for more than a week. Andrew even called the day before just to confirm our reservation. We got there to pick it up and, you guessed it, no truck. Apparently the people who had rented it in the few days prior, had not returned it. So, with no other choice in the matter, we left with the 16 ft truck. Now we have to load and unload the truck twice instead of making one trip and being done with it.
To top that off, we can't get into the condo until the closing which can't happen until the building inspection is done and certificate of occupancy is handed over. At this point we're now looking at closing not taking place until 4pm Tuesday. The truck is due back by 5pm. Looks like that's not going to happen so we're looking at another day of truck rental. In the mean time, the buyers' realtor is hounding us to hand over possession of this house by 8am Tuesday. NOT.
We started the process of packing and loading the truck 3 days ahead of time so we would not get to move-in day and have to work till midnight getting all of our stuff moved. Now that we have to load and unload the truck twice, it looks like it's going to be almost midnight on Tuesday until we'll have everything done.
So, it's Monday and here we are with 75% of our house packed on to the truck just sitting in front of the house. We slept on an air mattress last night and tossed and turned all night and woke with nagging back aches. Tonight we're going to a hotel.

God, moving sucks!

11 Comments:

Blogger Rick Rockhill said...

Wow that is some story Scott, I can't even imagine going through all that. By the way, your poodle is so cute~

12:53 PM, August 30, 2008  
Blogger Michael said...

Oy! Good luck with the move. Having just gone through one myself (though not nearly as stressful) I can relate. And yes, my back was killing me!

6:16 PM, August 30, 2008  
Blogger Matt said...

Good luck - I hope everything goes smoothly!

7:04 AM, August 31, 2008  
Blogger daveincleveland said...

good luck guys...just moved myself and its no picnic....been in house for about 25 years and have moved in july....have fun and keep an open mind and have lots of wine after

8:07 PM, August 31, 2008  
Blogger Tom said...

I hate moving. We have been thinking about selling too. After thinking about it I decided that I'm just not in the mood to move. I'm not sure where I would want to live in this city. We had heard that houses are moving pretty fast after the flood and we could get a good price for ours. Who knows, we may change our mind. After reading about your move. I'm not sure that I want to do it.

10:40 AM, September 01, 2008  
Blogger Matt said...

Ugh!!! Something always has to go wrong ...

It'll all be over soon. Take care of each other and know that you'll laugh about this in the not-too-distant future.

7:08 PM, September 01, 2008  
Blogger Mike said...

I hope the went well! I can relate... in 2006 I moved my business after being in the same place for 20+ years and then in the summer of 2007 I sold my house that I had been in for 25 years and moved... I don't plan on moving again.

2:48 PM, September 03, 2008  
Blogger Sooo-this-is-me said...

I hate moving, I get stressed out and I don't have that much stuff, so I can really feel your pain guys!

Good luck!

7:33 PM, September 03, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A friend once told me, that everyone should move every five years just so that you can clean out all your junk. My move was so stressful, the house that I sold closed on a Wednesday, and the buyers wanted me out on Friday. My new house didnt close until Monday. There was no way that I was going to be homeless for three days or move my stuff twice. I hired movers since I had to leave and move in on that Monday. Best money I ever spent. Made one mistake, I moved into my new house before the closing. At least everything worked out.

10:11 PM, September 08, 2008  
Blogger LSL said...

Moving totally sucks!!! Hope things are falling into place by now.

9:57 PM, September 09, 2008  
Blogger madhouse 6 said...

good luck on the move

7:57 PM, September 25, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home