Saturday, August 09, 2008

CLEVELAND ROCKS...

Got back on Wednesday from a trip to Cleveland. For Christmas last year, I gave my 15 year old son, Jeremy a trip to Cleveland to see the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Museum. I had no idea we would spend over 6 hours there! That place is amazing! It's definitely a must see if you find yourself in Cleveland. Not really a lot of other reasons to go to Cleveland other than that, but it was really a nice city.

From home it was a 10 hour drive. Normally I wouldn't consider driving on a trip that far, but with airfare as high as it is lately, it was the sensible option. Flying would have also meant renting a car so that would have just added to the expense. I was very excited by the great gas mileage I got with my VW Passat.

Does the fact that this excites me make me a nerd?

Yup, I averaged 30 mpg for the trip. The best I could ever do with the Jetta was about 26mpg and that was a smaller car. Must be the turbo engine in the Passat.We also toured the USS COD, a WWII submarine that is docked near the Rock Hall on Lake Erie. It was pretty interesting. I learned one thing by touring this sub...I'm never signing up to serve on one. I can't imagine living for weeks at a time in quarters that are that tight. I'd go insane.

We stopped overnight in Chicago on the way home and saw the Blue Man Group. I'd seen them a year or so ago and I had forgotten what a great show that is. We stayed in chinatown just south of the Loop and took the train to dinner downtown and to the theater. I also learned another thing...I'm never staying in Chinatown again. That was an experience for another post.

3 Comments:

Blogger madhouse 6 said...

we had such a different experience at the hall of fame - i only had a short time there, maybe i needed to spend more time.

3:49 PM, August 09, 2008  
Blogger Alan Scott said...

What a cool dad you are! The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame sounds like a great place to take a 15-year-old and from your post, it sounds like he enjoyed it immensely!

7:33 AM, August 11, 2008  
Blogger Rick Rockhill said...

what an awesome trip! We drove up to Napa a few weeks ago and it was a 9 hour drive, which was pretty intense. We had the two dogs inthe car. Whew.

9:48 AM, August 16, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home