Friday, February 09, 2007

CRUMMY FRIDAY...


The nurse was shocked to see how high my temerature was. (Not sure why she insisted that I remove my shirt.)


It all started on Wednesday at work. By mid-afternoon I started feeling like crap. The sinus infections, flu and colds are making their way around work like the flying monkeys from The Wizard of Oz. I managed to make till 5:oopm when I could go home and veg out for the evening. Thursday morning came and I actually felt better and by mid-morning and after my 20 oz. mug of Starbucks I was actually feeling fine. Whew, I dodged another outbreak of illness at work.
Well, when my alarm clock went off at 6 am this morning I knew it was back. I woke up with a pounding head, I could actually hear myself breathing, my chest hurt and my whole body ached. This was going to be my first missed day of work in 2007. Damn, I couldn't have just waited till at least May for that?!

So, I made the dreaded call into work that I always feel so guilty about whenever I have to do it. I'm not sure why, I have plenty of paid time off that I am allowed to take whenever I choose but it's just the whole "calling in sick" thing that I hate because it's so often mis-used by so many people who just don't feel like working that day. We all know them and we all work with a few of them.

My day was pretty much spent drinking tea because it seemed to help clear my sinuses, (and tea just seems like the thing to drink when you're sick) and laying on the sofa with the TiVo remote nestled in my right hand. (it just fits so perfectly) There were several programs that had been recorded over the past several days that I hadn't had a chance to catch up on lately, like American Idol, Wife Swap and Oprah. I admit, I don't watch much TV, but what I do watch is truly worthless. So, I caught up on my horribly bad singing auditions, white trash families at their best, and another day of Oprah saving the world, one little misfortunate black child at a time, all the while drifting in and out of consciousness.

Andrew got home around 4:30 and by that time I was feeling a little better. (at least I was showered and actually sitting upright) I went to pick up the kids at 5:30 and when I got home and started dinner I began feeling slightly human again.

Tomorrow will be nice. Andrew and I both have the day off and the kids will be here. A chance to sleep in and then go to Robin's basketball game at 11:00am.

Hopefully this was just a 24 hour thing. We'll see what tomorrow morning brings...

4 Comments:

Blogger Tom said...

I hope your feeling better soon. Take care and get some rest!

9:57 AM, February 10, 2007  
Blogger Matt said...

Hope you're feeling better. I hate that feeling when you're first getting sick and EVERYTHING hurts.

6:14 PM, February 10, 2007  
Blogger Darth Gateau said...

Hope you're feeling better. I find that a day in front of the TV with tea is one of the best possible cures. Just for next time... I'd have an enormous amount of biscuits (cookies!) within easy reach to give you a sugar boost - keeps you alert and in focus for all of that amazing, trash TV. By the way... American Idol has stolen Cat Deeley. Give her back immediately - we love her in the UK, she's so genuinely lovely.

4:00 AM, February 12, 2007  
Blogger Scott in Iowa said...

Thanks guys, I was feeling much better by Saturday. Darth, It was actually "So you think you can dance" that stole Cat Deeley. I'm sure Nigel Lithgow brought her over with him. And, I agree, I like her too. The new season hasn't started yet, so I'm not sure if she'll be back this year or not. We'll see. If she is, I'll be sure to rub it in just a little. :-)

6:49 PM, February 12, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home