Saturday, February 17, 2007

WHY??



It's been a discussion for a few months now. We've been out shopping together a few times trying to find one that we can both agree upon. He's been determined to get one and I think he SHOULD have one if he wants it THAT badly. But WHY???

For me, they have always brought to mind the depressing livingrooms of the elderly who have long since given up on any ideas of tastful decorating in place of comfort while eating dinner watching "The Price Is Right" because "I just love that Bob Barker." Followed by "Wheel of Fortune" and a nap.

Can anyone name a style that recliners actually GO with? Early American? No. Contemporary? No. Traditional? No. Modern? No way! Eclectic? Not in my book. I've never claimed to be a fantastic decorator, but I do enjoy trying my best to make my home look good and I think I have an eye for knowing what looks good. I've just never been a big fan of giant, overstuffed, button-tufted, polyester crushed velvet recliners. Why do the manufacturers think THAT'S what recliner buyers want? I suppose because so many people buy them. But just go to the recliner section of any furniture store...that's what you get to choose from. Just plain ugly. Oh, and if you want to add features don't forget the option of adding cup holders, and the special compartments for your remote controls so you rarely have to leave your chair. God, I can just HEAR people getting fatter.

To those of you who have recliners in your homes, please don't be offended. I'm merely offering up my personal opinion of having one in my home. I've seen them in other people's homes and really don't mind them there. I just don't know what to do with one in my home.

So, about a week ago I came home from work to a giant box sitting in the entry just inside the front door. I knew this was a bad sign. My fears were realized when I read the side of the box. I couldn't imagine what hideous, enourmous creature would emerge from that box. My fears were compounded when I asked why it was still in the box and Andrew's reply was, "oh, the second box didn't come today." Oh my God, you mean there's MORE to it?? I had to go lie down.

Just in case you're wondering, the picture above is NOT the recliner that came out of that box. I just searched the internet for a picture of a really ugly one to help make my point for this post. The chair that did finally end up in one piece after the second part arrived the next day, is actually not that bad. It's a smaller sized one that sports rather clean lines for a recliner. Still probably not one that I would have chosen, but it isn't as bad as I tried to imagine. After some re-arranging of the livingroom and familyroom and the deletion of an old chair, we now have a recliner in our livingroom. I have to admit, it's not all that bad and if Andrew is happy that he now has a comfy place to sit quietly and read, I am happy for him. Actually I'm glad he just went ahead and bought it. That eliminated the need for me to have to endure actually shopping for one and being present when one was purchased.
I'm not sure my heart could have taken that much stress.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

well scott, i AM almost offended, because as you well know we have 3 of them in our living room, i dont know about you, but i always like to put my feet up the rare times i do actually relax...anyway, i think its a nice choice and i cant wait to try it out, if andrew lets me.lol...

8:22 PM, February 17, 2007  
Blogger Scott in Iowa said...

Why can't you just put your feet up on the coffee table like the rest of the world?? 3 recliners in one room?! OMG! Sounds like HELL to me! :-)

8:32 PM, February 17, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

groovy, you KNOW whats in my living room...and i dont have a coffee table...hell, you say??? hmmmm....:-(

8:42 PM, February 17, 2007  
Blogger Tom said...

http://www.liftchair.com/ I think you will need this web site after this chair wears out.

8:21 AM, February 18, 2007  
Blogger Matt said...

Okay, that picture made me laugh out loud. That's alos what I always picture when someone says "recliner". They are INCREDIBLY comfortable, but I can't imagine fitting something like that into my decor, either (much less even into my living room ... )

But, I have noticed a lot of really nice looking recliners lately. The picture on Andrew's blog is actually a really nice-looking chair! That I could live with.

("I just love that Bob Barker" ... also made me snort a little ... )

6:51 PM, February 18, 2007  
Blogger Darth Gateau said...

Recliners must be some kind of US thing. I know we do sell them here in the UK but most people don't actually have them. They look super comfy. Would I want one tho...? I'm not sure. It wouldn't match anything and what part of the room should it be in? It looks like the kind of furniture which should go in front of the telly. I may investigate further...

6:10 AM, February 21, 2007  
Blogger Michael said...

The recliner is indeed one of the most hideous inventions known to man. (And that picture is priceless!) I ask you--why not a tasteful club chair and ottoman?

However, I have heard that recliners are getting more attractive these days. Even Todd Oldham is designing them for Lay-Z-Boy now. (Although for the spelling of the company alone I would avoid buying one.)

4:02 PM, February 21, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home