Saturday, April 11, 2009

FOR OUR VIEWING PLEASURE...

Andrew had the day off on Friday. When I got home from work I discovered this in the family room. A new 42" Vizio flat panel TV.

We'd been talking about upgrading the clunky 8 year old TV we had. It weighed what seemed like 100 pounds and took up so much space in the room. The picture was fine and it worked great, but, how nice it would be to have a new, big screen, flat panel that we could hang on the wall.
So, Saturday morning I got to work. I had all of the tools necessary to complete the job; flat panel TV mounting kit, screwdriver, socket wrench set, cordless drill, level, measuring tape and stud finder. (Hehe, how do you think I found Andrew?)

The first step was to attach the brackets to the back of the TV. This was amazingly simple. Four bolts and this step was completed.

We figured if we're going to go to the trouble of mounting it to the wall, we might as well put in the extra effort to hide the cables and power cord. In order to accomplish this I had to install an electrical outlet in the wall directly behind where the TV would be mounted. This was as simple as it possibly could have been since there was already an outlet in the wall near the floor just behind the TV stand. All I had to do was install an electrical box in the wall directly above the existing outlet where the TV would hang and then run the wires from there to the existing outlet. Then there was the cable TV cord and the cords that connected the TV to the TiVo and the DVD system. In order to hide those, I installed electrical boxes behind the TV and near the floor and fished the cables and wires inside the wall from the top down to the bottom where they could be connected to the components without being seen. This was probably the most difficult part and I was a little nervous cutting holes into our 6 month old drywall.

Next, was the wall bracket that the TV would hang from. I had to locate the studs behind the drywall and predrill into them to accept the four lag bolts that attached the bracket to the wall. The size of those bolts seemed to be a little overkill to me since the TV really doesn't weigh that much. But, better to be safe than sorry I guess. So after measuring, drilling and leveling the bracket, I screwed in the bolts and the TV was ready to mount.

We made all of the connections, turned the power back on and I kept my fingers crossed as I hit the power button on the remote.

I have to say, this was a much easier task than I had imagined it would be. And look Ma, no cords!

6 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

Wow! I'm impressed. And a little envious! We've been talking about doing that for a while, too.

9:57 AM, April 12, 2009  
Blogger Rick Rockhill said...

Yippee! love new toys, it looks great too.

Enjoy~

11:07 AM, April 12, 2009  
Anonymous johnmichael said...

Wow, looks really good!

5:13 PM, April 13, 2009  
Anonymous Pete said...

I love my flat panel, but its mounted on my stand so at least it won't fall over when the earth shakes or I clean. You did an very good job, more talent than I have.

8:37 PM, April 15, 2009  
Blogger Darth Gateau said...

ooh pretty. I love my flat screen TV. It was the first big thing I bought with my first Middle Eastern paypacket. I'd injure anyone if they tried to take it away...

2:41 PM, April 17, 2009  
Blogger Scooter said...

So very, very jealous.

8:57 PM, May 04, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home