Tuesday, January 08, 2008

THIS TIME I ESCAPED...


It was an average daily commute to work...until I got within 100 yards from my parking lot.

By the grace of God, or whomever, I escaped what could have been a disaster. I shook for an hour after it happened.

The street that runs in front of the building I work in is a four lane street. The speed limit is 40 mph. I came to a stop to wait for oncoming traffic so I could make my left turn into the parking lot. I noticed the car behind me, a gold Ford Taurus come to a stop waiting for me to make my turn. Apparently he got impatient waiting for the oncoming traffic to clear and darted out from behind me, into the right lane to go around me. What he didn't notice was a car already in that lane traveling at the 40 mph speed limit. I heard the crash right next to me and turned to see the Ford sailing through the air sideways right past my passenger windows! His car couldn't have missed hitting me by more than a foot!

Here's the link to the story that the local newspaper published online this morning. The at fault driver obviously lied about what happened because he reported that he swerved to miss a car turning ONTO the street in front of him. That's not true. He was stopped behind me and swerved out around me because he was impatient.

I'm updating my life insurance policy.

15 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

Whoa! You really dodged a bullet...or, well...a Taurus. Glad you're okay. Hope you decide to come forward with your eye-witness account of what happened to set the story straight.

9:47 PM, January 08, 2008  
Blogger TheBuxStopHere said...

You be careful. You know you're a horrible driver...you should slow down. :)

10:02 PM, January 08, 2008  
Blogger Matt said...

Wow - that's incredible! I'm glad you're okay. Being hit by a Taurus can't be fun.

10:12 PM, January 08, 2008  
Blogger TheBuxStopHere said...

HEY! I'm a Taurus!

10:29 PM, January 08, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

stop hitting scott.

10:40 PM, January 08, 2008  
Blogger Scott in Iowa said...

Michael, Yes, I did speak to an officer at the scene. I parked my car safely in the parking lot and walked over to give my name and phone number as a witness since in Iowa, leaving the scene of an accident with injuries is illegal.

Bux, Ummm..who just got the speeding ticket?

Matt, no, I suppose it wouldn't be too much fun..unless you're into that sort of thing. ;-)

Sue, I'm sure you've seen the bruises.

11:13 PM, January 08, 2008  
Blogger Tom said...

I'm glad your OK. One more good reason for me to ride the bus.

6:19 AM, January 09, 2008  
Blogger Alan Scott said...

It's great to hear that you're ok, Scott! :)

8:21 AM, January 09, 2008  
Blogger Mike said...

Wow! I'm glad you didn't get hit. I would have been shaking too.

12:18 PM, January 09, 2008  
Blogger Scooter said...

Yikes! Glad you're okay. If you're still shaken, listen Rachel Ray again. I'm still laughing!

12:36 PM, January 09, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you weren't hurt Scott, sad to think that our lives can be in the hands of idiots like that. Life has a way of sending us reminders of how precious it is and how quickly it could end or change. I'm far too guilty of getting caught up in the day to day routine and not living life to the fullest. I think your experience has inspired me to make a conscious effort to change that.

7:42 PM, January 09, 2008  
Blogger Matt said...

Oops - sorry Bux. Apparently you can hit Scott all you want, as long as he enjoys it and you still make him great dinners. ;)

11:17 PM, January 09, 2008  
Blogger Rick Rockhill said...

Oh my gosh Scott, you are incrediby lucky. glad u are OK

11:53 PM, January 09, 2008  
Blogger Sooo-this-is-me said...

Whew! Glad at least you were not hurt! How dumb for that guy, when will those kind of drivers realize one minute of patience prevents hours of trouble, maybe even death!

Speaking of being a brat, I see who is going to end up sleeping on the couch. Haha! ;)

Steven

9:14 AM, January 10, 2008  
Blogger Darth Gateau said...

phew! Lucky escape - someone was smiling on you that day!

5:48 AM, January 12, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home